The coalition's Social Marketing Workgroup met earlier this week and, using data from the Healthy Youth Survey and community parent surveys, started identifying possible messages for our campaign targeting parents. Messages need to be refined, but following is what we ware starting with.
1. Most Eckstein Middle School/Hale High School/Roosevelt High School students do not drink or use drugs. Parents can support them by:
• monitoring medications in your home
• telling them that you are proud that they don’t use drugs
• provide them with opportunities to positively contribute to home life
2. Most NE Seattle parents talk to their children about not using drugs and alcohol. Follow up with rewards and consequences. Kids who know there will be rewards for not using and consequences if they do use are less likely to use drugs and alcohol.
3. Most NE Seattle parents think drug and alcohol use by teenagers is not okay. Get to know your child’s friend’s parents – it’s likely they want to know you, too. Talk to them about your family’s rules about drugs and alcohol – it’s likely that they agree with you.