Data about youth treatment and marijuana

As I was going through my old files today, I came across a report on substance abuse treatment in the Seattle area. I remember when I first read the report, what struck me was that marijuana is the primary reason, by far, that people under the age of 18 are admitted into substance abuse treatment programs even though alcohol is the primary substance abused by youth.



It reminded me of something I had read recently about the younger a person starts smoking marijuana the higher the likelihood of addiction. The effects of marijuana on youth differ from the effects on adults.

It also reminded me that I wanted to create a link to the presentation that Stephen Bogan gave at this year's Prevention Summit: Getting High to Not Be Low - Adolescent Marijuana Abuse, Addiction, and Mental Health.

As we continue our discussion about the legal status of marijuana, it's important we include conversations about youth substance abuse prevention and treatment.